Weapons Carry License Application (Gun Permit)
The Probate Court of Harris County handles gun permits (also known as Weapons Carry Licenses) for the county.
- We accept applications Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- You must be at least 21 years of age and a permanent resident of Harris County to apply.
- You must provide official identification, such as a driver’s license or state issued ID card when you come in to apply.
- If there are questions about your residency, you might be required to offer further proof (property tax records, deeds, vehicle registration, utility or such.)
This is how you apply for a gun permit:
- Come to the Probate Court office in the Harris County Courthouse.
- You will show your identification to the Clerk and then fill out an application. NOTE: the answers you give on the application are sworn statements.
- After filling out your application, your picture will be taken for your license.
- Within 5 days of filling out your application, you are required to go to the Harris County Sheriff’s Department to be fingerprinted.
- An FBI and GBI criminal background check will be conducted within 20 days, based on your fingerprints and other personal information.
- Once the criminal history is completed, it will be sent to the Probate Judge. He will review your history to make sure that you are entitled to a permit.
- If you are approved for a permit, the Court will notify you to let you know that it is ready to be picked up.
- If you are not approved for a permit, or if there are questions, the Court will notify you in writing that more information is needed or that there is some reason which prevents you from receiving one.
Licenses are valid for five years. If you have a license that you wish to renew, you may do so 90 days before or 30 days after it expires.
We accept cash, money orders, or credit/debit card payments.
The cost to make an application is $74.75.
Cost of renewal is $35.
This amount is nonrefundable, even if your application is denied.